Sunday, July 5, 2009

A new use for Parliament?


Monet's Houses of Parliament 1905

Now I'm not much of a revolutionary. During uprisings of any sort I'm usually to be seen walking away. I'm too old for zealotry and overthrowing stuff. What if the incoming dictator bans drinking decent wine or going down the pub?

Perish the thought. I struggle to overthrow my cat from my favourite seat.

However, my previous post on MP's and the House has brought out some closet Che Guevaras.

And with some pretty good ideas, too.


'We should consider turning the current Houses of Parliament into something completely different, for example an art gallery or historical museum.The silly and pretentious 'security wall' outside it, which represented yet another flagrant waste of taxation, should be covered in peaceful graffiti, in the manner of the Berlin Wall. It could then be subdivided into pieces, and each one could be then sold off on internet auction sites, which might gain us a small amount of revenue to help us deal with the gargantuan tasks ahead.'

What an excellent suggestion. There are plenty of deserted offices around in the great Crisis. Give MP's one each with a sofa bed and video conferencing. No more dodgy charges for 'London accommodation' and no more middle-aged men in tights parading about the House with swords, maces and black rods. No more baying cries of "Hear hear" and "Shame" in a half empty chamber.

Power to the people I say.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ron! I just wanted to stop by your blog and say hello! Thank you for the note you posted on my page (on library thing) to answer my question! Your new book looks amazing and I really would LOVE to check them out. Of course I signed up to win one in your give-a-way and I will be at the live author interview there as well! I was so excited to hear about your leading lady in these books and I can't wait to read them!

    My library thing name is (AStarIsBorn) and this is my Blogger name (Park-Avenue Princess)
    I'm on Twitter as well (TheDiaryOfADiva)

    I can't wait to join your fun!

    xo Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Amy. I don't think that will be a problem at all! Consider it done.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete